Honeywell Thermostats have been one of our personal favorites for years. It has a history of over 100 years and with this has offered a range of thermostat variants. Whether it is the vintage model of Series 1000 to the latest technologically advanced WiFi-enabled Thermostat, each is designed to fit your budget needs. However, we are left unsure which one is ideal for picking from with a plethora of choices. Besides, we are also quite oblivious to the entire procedure of changing batteries to process as well.
Thus, coming to the question, how to change the batteries of a thermostat? Well, all you need to do is pull out the cover plate by sliding the base plate from the battery compartment. Herein, replace the older battery with a newer one and place back the cover as before.
Now we hope you have an idea about replacing and changing the batteries for a Honeywell Thermostat. It is quite easy that can be performed by a child as well. However, with each model, there arise few variations in the process. Hence, we present you with a detailed guide enlisting how to replace thermostat batteries.
Note: Not all thermostats by Honeywell run on batteries, and only thermostats with an LED display tend to work on batteries.
Changing Batteries of Honeywell Thermostat
It has to be noted that the Honeywell Thermostat will require battery replacement every year. Besides, the system will notify you 60 days in advance, thereby triggering you to replace the battery sooner, giving you sufficient time to purchase a new set of batteries.
The LED screen will display either a Low Battery or Replace Battery message. It is a notification you will get 60 days before the battery completely runs away. Another way of signaling you about the low battery is by turning the screen completely black. If the screen turns black, then your Thermostat will probably stop working unless new batteries are replaced.
Some thermostats use batteries only for extra backup. Herein, you may not be worried about replacing the batteries. However, even if your Thermostat is using the battery to back up the process, still it will require battery replacement, failing which you may witness changes in the Time and Date settings of the Thermostat.
The battery used by Honeywell Thermostat
Many models of Honeywell Thermostat are compatible with AAA batteries, with a few also compatible with AA batteries. Thus, ensure you check which batteries will fit well before you go ahead to replace the batteries.
Besides, the latest thermostats comprise a sliding compartment for batteries which is lacking in others. All you need to do is open the cover plate and replace the batteries. Just herein, pull the cover plate from the bottom and pull it out from the base.
In certain cases, you may have to unscrew the screws. Ensure to turn off the electricity before starting the replacement of batteries, or you may get exposed to live wires that can prove to be dangerous.
Methods to find the Honeywell Thermostat Model Number. Also, is it important?
Different thermostats follow a different process for replacing older batteries with new ones. Thus, you must be quite aware of which model of Thermostat are you getting to your home. You can check this out on the official website of Honeywell Thermostat. Besides, we have presented a detailed step below, which are as follows:
Steps to check the Honeywell Thermostat model number
Most thermostats from Honeywell have their model number printed on the front. If it doesn’t have one, you can check the LED display or locate it on the backside of the thermostat panel.
Follow the below steps to locate the model number for your Thermostat
- Before checking, disconnect the flow of electricity from the circuit to prevent exposure to live wire
- Slide the Thermostat and remove the base plate from the bottom
- Turn the Thermostat and note down the model number
- Fix back the base plate as before.
If the Honeywell Thermostat lacks a model number, you can check for the same in the user manual provided along with the system.
Battery Replacement for Series 8000 Honeywell Thermostat – Tested for Models including TH8110U, TH8320U & TH8321U
Considered one of the best series of Honeywell Thermostat, the 8000 series is the advanced version with many latest features and compatibility with WiFi. It allows you to control ventilation, humidity, and schedule programs in addition to using your smartphone for operating the features.
Herein, the Honeywell App and the My Total Connect Comfort portal on the web are used for controlling the Honeywell Thermostat 8000 series.
- Switch off the Thermostat to replace the battery
- Open the front cover by pulling the front cover out gently
- Remove the older 3 batteries and replace them with 3 new AAA batteries
- Place the batteries in proper + and – terminals
- Place back the cover and attach it to the base plate
- Once the battery is replaced, switch on the Thermostat
Battery Replacement for Series 6000 Honeywell Thermostat – Tested for Models including TH6110D, TH6220D & TH6320U
The USP of the Honey 6000 series of Honeywell Thermostat is its Schedule Program feature, wherein you can schedule the working as per day and thereby save on energy usage.
These include a sliding compartment for the battery and thus, replacing the old batteries with new ones is quite easy.
- Turn off the Thermostat and remove it from the circuit breaker
- Press and gently pull out the cover from the bottom and remove the battery
- Slide-out the compartment for the battery and replace the older batteries with new AA batteries
- Place back the cover and fix it to the base plate as before
- Ensure the batteries are placed in the right + and – terminals in the battery compartment
- Once replaced, turn on your Thermostat
Battery Replacement for Series 5000 Honeywell Thermostat – Tested for Models including TH5110D, TH5220D & TH5320U
The Series 5000 of Honeywell Thermostat includes an auto changeover feature that allows switching between cooling and heating by accurately accessing the room temperature. It includes a sliding battery compartment, and you do not require to open the cover attached with the base plate for replacing batteries.
- Switch off the Thermostat
- Press and gently pull the cover to remove the battery compartment located at the top right corner
- Remove the battery compartment and place AA batteries
- Place the top cover as before
- Switch it On after replacing the batteries
Battery Replacement for Series 4000 Honeywell Thermostat – Tested for Models including TH4210D & TH4110D
The 4000 Series includes a built-in compressor for protection. It is known for its excellent controls that can control fan speed, temperature, heating system, etc. The LED display notified you about the temperature, battery condition, date, time, and other important stats.
- Turn off the Thermostat and remove it from the circuit breaker to not getting exposed to live wire
- Remove the place and push it from the bottom
- Remove and replace the older batteries with new ones
- Put back the cover plate and attach it with the base plate firmly
- After the batteries are replaced, switch on your Thermostat.
Battery Replacement for Series 3000 Honeywell Thermostat – Tested for Models including TH3110D & TH3210D
The 3000 series includes an in-built compressor and protection for the air conditioning compressor and heat pump. All you need to do is replace the batteries annually. Besides, the LED display will keep you notified about the replacement 60 days in advance, thereby giving you ample time to get a new set of batteries.
- Switch off your Thermostat
- Push and pull out the back cover of the Thermostat
- After separating the cover place from the base plate, replace the older batteries with a newer set
- Cover back the base and slide it gently
- Now switch on Your Thermostat
Battery Replacement for Series 2000 & 1000 Honeywell Thermostat – Tested for Models including TH1100DV, TH1110DV, TH1210DV, TH2110DV & TH2210DV
These are a budget-friendly model of Thermostat from Honeywell. Bigger apartments and complexes utilize the 2000 and 1000 series, and it includes a LED display and is used for functioning gas furnaces and air conditioners. If you have the budget, there is no worry about comprising the quality, and you can also opt for other models.
- Similar to other models, you must switch off the model first
- Remove the cover plate attached to the base place by pulling it from the bottom side
- Remove the old batteries and replace them with new AA batteries correctly placed in the +ve and -ve terminal
- Place the cover back on the base plate
- Turn on the Thermostat
Few more options of Thermostats and the Way to Replace the Battery
Honeywell Thermostat -Model RTH110B
Yet another most opted Thermostat from Honeywell, the Model RTH110B, enables controlling hot water systems, air conditioners, and central heating. However, it lacks advanced features such as programming and compatibility with heat pumps.
It includes a thermometer to measure the existing room temperature and also assists in maintaining the overall temperature inside the room.
How to Replace the Battery?
- Switch Off your Thermostat
- Now remove the cover and replace the old batteries with new AAA batteries
- Place it properly, i.e., the +ve and -ve terminals in the right place
- Cover it again and place it on the base plate
- Turn on Your Thermostat
Honeywell Thermostat – Lyric Round (Model Tested RCH9310WF)
The USP of the Lyric Round Model is its geofencing feature which allows you to integrate your location and accordingly control the temperature of your HVAC. It has a full-touch glass display and buttons to adjust features and temperature as per your need. Besides, it is compatible with third-party accessories such as SmartThings, IFTTT, HomeKit, Apple Watch, Google Home, Alexa, etc.
How to Replace the Battery?
- First, switch off your Thermostat and move it out from the sub-base
- Now replace the older batteries with a new AAA battery
- Place the faceplate on the sub-base
- Switch On your Thermostat
Related Article– How to change Battery of Honeywell Thermostat (Within Minutes!)
Most asked questions about Honeywell Thermostat Battery
Which are the best batteries suitable for Honeywell Thermostat?
Most Honeywell Thermostats utilize Alkaline batteries in variations of AA or AAA. You can get a good idea about the battery by reading the user manual or manually checking the batteries installed. Going by the brands, you can opt for Panasonic, Duracell, or Kirkland for the best services.
My Thermostat is displaying a low battery even after the old battery is replaced. What should I do?
Notification of low battery disappears once the battery is replaced. However, if it still flashes the message, it might require a reset for your Honeywell Thermostat.
What will happen if the battery of the Thermostat is dead?
When the battery goes away, your Thermostat will start displaying a “Low Battery” message 60 days in advance for you to replace it.
Besides, the screen may also turn black, which is its way of saving battery power. If you do not replace the battery within 60 days, your battery will be completely dead, stopping your Thermostat from working.
Size of battery that can be used inside the Honeywell Thermostat
You can choose alkaline batteries that are either AA or AAA for Honeywell Thermostat. Many use batteries that have a LED display.
Why is my Honeywell Thermostat displaying Low Battery Message?
Your Thermostat displays Low Battery 60 days in advance to notify you to replace the battery before the power gets depleted completely.