ONN TVs have gained popularity among individuals seeking budget-friendly yet high-quality television options. Nonetheless, akin to any electronic device, ONN TVs can occasionally encounter glitches. One common predicament users face is the occurrence of a black screen.
For a swift resolution, locate the reset pinhole on your TV. Insert a pin or needle into the hole and hold it for approximately 15 seconds. Once the reset proves successful, the TV will promptly reboot, displaying the ONN TV Logo on the screen.
If your TV still fails to operate correctly, there’s no need for concern – there exist various strategies you can attempt to rectify the situation. This article will guide you through several steps to help restore your ONN TV to full functionality.
Why Does Onn TV showing Black Screen?
Let’s begin by delving into the causes behind a black TV screen. The primary contributors are hardware components and software-related glitches. Conversely, secondary factors encompass problems with HDMI connections and power-related issues, which often have straightforward remedies.
Onn TV showing Black Screen: Troubleshooting
To resolve a TV that powers on but displays a black screen, you have various methods at your disposal. Often, initiating a simple restart is the most effective approach.
Performing a Device Restart:
Restarting your ONN television is usually the easiest way to address a black screen issue. This can often fix problems related to the display.
Turn Off and On: The simplest approach involves turning off the TV and then turning it back on. This action can sometimes resolve backlighting issues or minor glitches.
Unplug and Wait: If the first step doesn’t work, unplug your TV and wait for at least one minute. Then plug it back in. This method can reset the TV to its factory default settings, often resolving the issue. You might even consider waiting for fifteen to thirty minutes before turning on the TV again.
Check Sleep Mode Settings: Check whether your TV is set to sleep mode or if a sleep timer is active. Disabling these settings can return your TV screen to its normal state, ready for viewing.
Remote Reset: In some cases, a malfunctioning remote could be the cause. Try resetting it:
- Remove and replace the batteries (if unsure of their functionality).
- Hold down the “power” button for one minute.
- Reinsert the batteries.
- Attempt to use the remote to control the TV again.
If the above steps don’t work, consider these options:
Underlying Issues: If none of the suggested solutions work, there might be more complex underlying issues. In such cases, it’s wise to explore additional technical solutions.
Remember, these steps are general suggestions and might not directly apply to every specific ONN TV model or situation. Always consult your TV’s manual or the manufacturer’s support for precise guidance.
ONN TV Issues (Alternative Solutions)
There are instances where a simple restart may not suffice. In such cases, exploring various potential solutions becomes crucial.
Software Upgrade or Update:
If restarting doesn’t yield results, the next step is to address the TV’s software and its capability to receive updates.
ONN TVs rely on the Roku operating system, serving as the foundation for their platform. Roku’s online community support acknowledges the prevalence of black screen issues and provides a website, phone number, and link for users to access software upgrades.
Here’s how you can update your TV:
- Connect your TV to the internet.
- If your TV lacks Wi-Fi, download the update file to your computer and then copy it to a USB flash drive.
- Using your remote, navigate to the menu and select “Settings.”
- Proceed to “Support” and then choose “System Update.”
- Under “Software/System Update,” select “Update Now.”
- New updates will be promptly downloaded.
- If updating via USB flash drive, use your remote to select the update file.
- Allow the update process to complete without turning off the TV.
- Exit the menu if there’s no available update.
Restoring Factory Settings:
If prior attempts have been unsuccessful, attempting a factory reset might be necessary. To do this:
- Locate the “Reset” button on the back of the television.
- Press and hold the button for at least 20 seconds.
- Keep in mind that this action will erase cloud storage, including login details for streaming accounts.
- If you’re having trouble finding the reset button, you can refer to an instructional video for additional guidance.
Remember that these steps are provided as general guidance and might not apply exactly to every ONN TV model or situation. Always consult your TV’s manual or the manufacturer’s support for precise instructions.
How to know if my TV backlight is broken?
The remaining concerns often stem from hardware-related factors. If the standby light illuminates when you power on the TV, backlighting problems could be the culprit.
A method to verify this issue involves shining a flashlight onto the TV screen. If you can discern images faintly, this substantiates the presence of backlighting issues.
Onn TV Customer Support
For ONN TV support, you can reach out to their Customer Service at (844) 334-2355. If you require warranty service for your malfunctioning ONN TV, feel free to contact them. Before making the call, ensure that you have your TV model and serial number handy, as they will likely ask for this information.
Wrapping it up
In summary, when troubleshooting a black screen issue on your ONN TV:
- Check Power: Verify that the TV is plugged in and the power outlet is functional.
- Inspect Cables: Loose or faulty cables can cause a black screen. Ensure all cables connected to the TV are securely and properly plugged in.
- Reset the TV: If previous steps don’t work, perform a reset. Unplug the TV from the power outlet for at least one minute, then reconnect and power it on.
- Input Source: Ensure the TV is on the correct input source. Use the remote to cycle through input sources until you find the one linked to your device.
- Software Update: Check for available software updates for your ONN TV. Sometimes issues can arise due to outdated software.
By following these steps, you can often diagnose and address a black screen problem on your ONN TV.
You May Also Enjoy Reading: TV Has No Sound But Is Not Muted (7-Second FIX)
What should you do if your TV turns on but the screen is black?
If your TV powers on but displays a black screen, there are several steps you can take to address the issue:
- Replace the HDMI cable: If the black screen is caused by a short or flaw in the HDMI cable, swapping it out with a new one might resolve the problem.
- Perform a soft reset: Unplug the TV from the wall and, if possible, disconnect the power cord from the TV’s rear. Wait for about five minutes to allow for a reset.
- Reconnect and test: After waiting for about 30 seconds, plug the TV back into a functioning power outlet and test it to see if the black screen issue has been resolved.
Is it possible to repair a television if the screen goes black?
Yes, repair is possible, but the feasibility depends on the underlying cause of the black screen. If the problem is related to issues like loose or faulty cables, outdated software, or incorrect settings, these can often be resolved through basic troubleshooting.
However, if the problem is rooted in hardware, such as a damaged backlight or a broken panel, repair might not be feasible. In such cases, you might need to consider replacing either the TV or the damaged component.
Why isn’t ONN TV working?
If your ONN TV is experiencing issues, follow these steps to troubleshoot:
- Power cycle: Unplug your ONN TV from the power outlet and turn it off for a few minutes. Then, reconnect the TV to power and check if it can connect to your Wi-Fi.
- Software update: Check if a software update is available for your TV. Outdated firmware could be causing the problem.
- Check cables and settings: Ensure all cables are properly connected and that the input settings on the TV are correct.
If these steps don’t resolve the issue, it might be due to a loose cable, power problems, incorrect input settings, or hardware issues. Further troubleshooting might involve checking connections, resetting the TV, or updating software. If problems persist, reaching out to Onn customer support for additional assistance is recommended.