When setting up my new internet connection a few weeks ago, I noticed that devices on my network were listed as Espressif Inc, which puzzled me as I didn’t own any devices from that company. Concerned that my network might be compromised, I decided to conduct some research to understand the reason behind this.
After delving into various technical articles about Espressif Inc devices, I discovered that Espressif systems manufacture Wi-Fi modules used in some smart devices. Therefore, the appearance of Espressif Inc on your network could be due to the presence of smart devices in your home that use this Wi-Fi module. Alternatively, it could indicate the presence of a masked or unknown device using your network.
If you want to ascertain whether these devices are your own or unidentified ones on your network, I will provide guidance on how to check in the following sections. Keep reading to learn more and address any potential concerns about your network security.
What Exactly Is An Espressif Inc Device?
Espressif Systems is a prominent semiconductor manufacturing company that specializes in creating wireless modules for a wide range of smart devices available in the market.
Given the widespread use of Espressif wireless modules, it is highly probable that either you or people around you are using some of these smart products in your homes. These devices are commonly labeled as ESP32, ESP8266, and so on.
The wireless modules offered by Espressif are highly regarded for their reliability and performance, making them a preferred choice for Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs). By using these modules, OEMs can obtain competitive pricing, which helps to reduce the overall costs of their smart products.
As the demand for smart devices continues to grow, the presence of Espressif wireless modules in various products is expected to become even more widespread in the coming years. Their contribution to the development of smart devices has made them a significant player in the semiconductor industry.
Why There Is Espressif Inc Device Showing on Network?
If you notice an Espressif device on your network, it simply indicates that one or more of your smart devices at home are using an Espressif Systems Wi-Fi module. These modules are commonly found in various smart devices, contributing to their wireless connectivity.
However, it’s essential to be aware that some instances of Espressif systems on your network could also result from hidden or masked devices that are using your Wi-Fi without your knowledge. Such devices might belong to a neighbor whom you’ve shared your Wi-Fi password with or a roommate using an Espressif device.
To identify the manufacturers of all devices connected to your Wi-Fi network, you can utilize software like Netscanner or similar apps. By running a network scan using Netscanner and turning on Port scanning for Port 80 in the options, you can gain insights into the connected devices. Ensure that Port 80 is accessible on your device from Netscanner’s options.
If you suspect any devices that you do not own appearing on your network, it is advisable to take precautionary measures. Change the password for your Wi-Fi network to prevent unauthorized access. Additionally, consider using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) for added security and turn on your antivirus software to create an extra layer of protection for your network and connected devices. Being proactive in securing your network helps safeguard your privacy and ensures a safe and efficient operation of your smart devices.
What Devices Recognises Itself as Espressif Inc.?
You are absolutely right. Espressif Wi-Fi modules are extensively used in a wide range of smart home devices, making it difficult to pinpoint all the specific products that incorporate these modules.
The devices that use Espressif Wi-Fi modules can vary significantly, encompassing smart bulbs, smart power outlets, video doorbells, home robots, and various other types of smart equipment for your house.
While it may not be possible to list all the products that utilize Espressif Wi-Fi modules due to their extensive use, you can indeed use software like Netscanner to help identify the manufacturer of each connected product on your network.
By running a scan with Netscanner or similar apps, you can gain insights into the manufacturers of the devices connected to your Wi-Fi, which can be particularly helpful in understanding which smart devices in your home are utilizing Espressif Wi-Fi modules. This allows for a better understanding and control of the smart devices present in your smart home ecosystem.
Is the Espressif Inc. device on my network a cause for concern?
You are absolutely right. If you notice Espressif Inc devices showing up on your network, there’s no need to worry if these devices belong to you and are part of your smart home setup.
However, if you come across any devices that do not belong to you or suspect unauthorized access to your network, it’s essential to take immediate action to secure your network.
Securing your network can involve the following steps:
- Change the Wi-Fi password: Set a strong and unique password for your Wi-Fi network to prevent unauthorized access.
- Enable network encryption: Use WPA2 or WPA3 encryption on your Wi-Fi router to protect data transmission.
- Update router firmware: Keep your router’s firmware up to date to ensure it has the latest security patches.
- Use guest networks: If your router supports it, set up a separate guest network for visitors to keep them separate from your main network.
- Disable remote management: Disable remote management of your router to prevent unauthorized access from outside.
- Regularly review connected devices: Monitor the devices connected to your network and ensure they are all authorized and known to you.
By implementing these security measures, you can protect your network from potential unauthorized access and ensure the privacy and security of your smart home devices and personal data.
How Can I Acess & Manage The Espressif Inc. Device?
If you have determined that you have Espressif devices connected to your network, accessing and managing these devices is relatively straightforward.
To do this, open your web browser and enter your router’s IP address to access the router’s settings. The IP address to log into your router may vary depending on the manufacturer, so you can check with your router’s documentation or visit the manufacturer’s website for the specific IP address.
Once you have successfully logged into your router’s settings, you will be able to view a list of all the devices connected to your network. This list will include the Espressif devices along with other devices connected to your Wi-Fi network.
From the router’s settings, you have the option to remove any unknown or unauthorized devices that you do not recognize. Additionally, you can rename your devices to give them distinct names, making it easier to identify them in the future.
By managing your network through your router’s settings, you can have better control over the connected devices and ensure the security and efficiency of your home network.
Secure Your Network by Activating Anti-Virus
Most new systems come with pre-installed antivirus programs by default, and in many cases, it is recommended to use the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) antivirus software provided, such as Windows Defender for Windows 10 users.
To enable Windows Defender, follow these steps:
- Click on the ‘Start’ button and open ‘Settings.’
- Navigate to ‘Privacy and Security.’
- Click on ‘Windows Security,’ and then select the ‘Open Windows Security’ button.
- Choose ‘Virus and Threat Protection’ and ensure that all the settings are turned on.
- You can also directly search for ‘Virus and Threat Protection’ from the search bar.
By activating Windows Defender and keeping it up-to-date, you can enhance the security of your system and protect it from potential threats and malware. Windows Defender is a reliable and built-in antivirus solution for Windows users that provides real-time protection against various types of threats.
Block The Espressif Inc. Device from your network
To block any unknown device from your network, the simplest method is to access your router’s settings through your web browser and block the device from there.
Follow these steps to block an unknown device:
- Open your web browser and enter your router’s IP address in the address bar.
- Log in to your router’s settings using the provided login details. Typically, the default username is ‘Admin,’ and the password is either ‘Admin’ or left blank. Refer to your router’s documentation or the manufacturer’s website if you are unsure of the login details.
- Once logged in, navigate to the section that allows you to view the list of connected devices on your network.
- Identify the unknown device that you want to block from the list.
- Look for an option to block or disable the device. The specific location and wording may vary depending on your router model.
- Select the option to block the device, and save the changes.
By following these steps, you can effectively prevent any unauthorized or unknown devices from accessing your network, ensuring a secure and controlled environment for your connected devices.
Wrapping it up
You are absolutely right. Having an Espressif Inc device on your network is not a cause for concern as long as all the smart devices connected to it belong to you and are part of your legitimate smart home setup.
However, if you ever have concerns about the security of certain devices in your network and believe that they may have vulnerabilities, there are some steps you can take to enhance security:
- Upgrade to more secure devices: Consider replacing any smart devices that you suspect may have security issues with newer models that have stronger security features.
- Update Wi-Fi modules: If you are knowledgeable about technology and have the skills, you can potentially update the Wi-Fi modules of your smart devices yourself. This can improve both performance and security by ensuring the latest firmware and security patches are installed.
- Regularly check for updates: Keep track of updates and security patches released by the device manufacturers for your smart devices. Regularly updating the firmware and software can help address security vulnerabilities and enhance overall performance.
By staying proactive and taking appropriate measures, you can ensure a secure and reliable smart home environment, providing peace of mind and protection for your connected devices and personal data.
You May Also Enjoy Reading: Shenzhen Bilian Device Is On My WIFI? (Threat?)