Video doorbells are becoming popular day by day and they have become must-have devices in a smart home setup. A lot of people love using smart video doorbells for security purposes. When it comes to smart doorbells, Ring is the leading company. Ring video doorbells are the most popular and most used due to their outstanding features and competitive pricing.
As a ring doorbell user, I always want my device to be charged and working properly. Running out of battery when you need the doorbell to record is a nightmare for most of the Ring doorbell users. To keep your Ring doorbell always running you beware of your doorbell’s battery status.
How to check the battery level of your Ring doorbell? Open the Ring app and select your Ring device then on the top right corner your battery level will be displayed. You don’t need to worry about running out of battery as your device will send alerts on your mobile when its battery is low.
It is this easy to check the battery status of your Ring device. The recharging of the battery depends on a lot of factors. Different Ring doorbells have different steps to charge. Stay tuned to know the perfect information so that your Ring doorbell is always charged.
How do I know my ring doorbell is charged?
All the Ring doorbells are powered by lithium batteries but Ring Doorbell Pro and Ring Doorbell Pro 2 work only when hardwired. Checking the battery status of Ring doorbells is quite simple and within few steps, you will get to know the battery level of your device.
- Open the Ring application on your mobile phone.
- Select the desired device (doorbell) for which you want to check the battery level.
- On the top right corner, there is a battery icon that states the battery level.
Always make sure to turn on push notifications on your mobile through the Ring application to never miss out on alerts. When the battery of your doorbell is low you will receive notification on your phone as well as email.
Charging your Ring Doorbell
Ring doorbells do not require charge frequently which is a good thing. Ring states that their doorbell’s lithium battery lasts from 6 to 12 months approximately. However, the time for the battery to drain depends on a lot of factors such as the settings of the motion alert, the number of motions recorded by the doorbell, and the time period for which you watch the live stream.
Charging Ring Doorbell 1
The original Ring Video Doorbell 1 doesn’t have a removable battery pack, unlike the other Ring doorbells. You need to remove the entire device from the wall to charge it which is a big downside of using Ring doorbell 1. This means that you need to uninstall and reinstall the doorbell every time you want to charge it.
Steps to charge Ring video doorbell 1 are as follows:
- Using the default screwdriver which comes along with the doorbell remove the two bottom screws.
- Remove the doorbell from the mounting plate by sliding it upwards.
- Insert the charging cable in the port located at the back of the doorbell.
- As the doorbell charges the light look similar to a ring will fill.
- As soon as the doorbell charges it will show blue light.
- Place the doorbell on the mounting plate and screw it.
Charging other Ring doorbells
All the other Ring doorbells like Ring doorbell 2, Ring doorbell 3, Ring doorbell 3 plus, and Ring doorbell elite have removable battery packets. This is a big upgrade from the previous generation Ring doorbell 1 as you don’t have to remove the entire doorbell while charging.
- With the given screwdriver carefully remove the screws from the bottom of the doorbell.
- Remove the faceplate by sliding it downwards.
- Press the black coloured quick release tab to remove the battery pack.
- Using a wall charger plug the micro USB cable provided in the doorbell.
- Green and red light glowing indicate that the battery is charging. As soon as the battery gets completely charged it only shows a green light.
- Place the doorbell on the mounting plate, put faceplate and screw it perfectly.
Important tips to remember while charging Ring doorbell
Ring states that it takes somewhere between 4 to 12 hours to completely charge the battery pack of the doorbell. To charge the doorbell battery faster, insert the provided orange micro USB into a 2.1 amp wall charger rather than plugging it into a computer.
Never wait for your doorbell battery to drain completely. Charge before the battery dies completely or else you may need to re-setup the doorbell again after boot up. You never want your Ring doorbell to miss recording as a threat can come from anything.
We would suggest purchasing an additional battery pack to insert in the doorbell whenever the original battery runs out of juice. Click here to get an original Ring battery pack.
Troubleshooting Tips: Ring Doorbell Battery Pack
Ring doorbell battery drains quickly
There are several different reasons why the battery of your doorbell drains very fast. Some of the main reasons are mentioned below:
- Weak WiFi signals and low internet speeds.
- Numerous motions, notifications and alerts.
- Watching the camera live stream too often.
- Unfavourable weather conditions.
Even after charging the Ring doorbell battery status is low
In the Ring application, the battery status icon doesn’t update while the battery is charging. The battery status icon in the Ring app updates only when someone rings the doorbell.
So, after charging the battery reinsert it in the doorbell and wait for some time then ring the doorbell to see the accurate battery level in the battery status icon.