Have you recently purchased the Ring Doorbell from someone or you considering trading your Ring Doorbell to someone? If your answer is yes, then one question might’ve popped in your mind. Whether or not you can change the owners correctly?
Here in this read, I’ll answer and clear all your queries regarding the same issues. So, let’s dig in!
So, how can you change the owner of your Ring Doorbell? Here is what you can do to swap the owner of your Ring Doorbell :
- Firstly, the real owner must withdraw their payment data from their account and reach Ring Support to call off their plan.
- Secondly, the current owner should finish the setup method for the device by downloading the Ring app. Once it is completed, the Ring doorbell will vanish from the real owner’s Ring app.
This is all you’ve to do to swap ownership for your Ring device. But make sure the new owner finishes the setup process on the Ring app, as it is a critical step.
The method of changing ownership of some Ring device is pretty simple and easy. Additionally, you can also use this method for other Ring products such as the Ring 2, The Ring Spotlight Cam, or The Ring Pro.
But, you should also consider other things while swapping owners for your Ring device. For instance, you might be thinking if a hard reboot is important when changing the doorbell to a different owner. Don’t worry, keep reading and we’ll answer all such queries.
However, if you are thinking about renewing your Ring doorbell, you can go for the premium Ring Elite (Amazon). This one doesn’t require any Wi-Fi connection and could easily work with an Ethernet cable. If not this, then the Ring Pro (Amazon) is still at the top position in our recommendation.
How You Can Switch Owner In A Ring Video Doorbell?
If you’re thinking about trading your doorbell or simply delivering it to someone else, then make sure you follow the below-mentioned steps before giving the device to its new owner:
Withdraw your Payment Details From Your App’s Account
Firstly, what you should do if you’re the original owner, is to withdraw your payment details linked with your Ring account. However, if you aren’t the original owner, then you can read this as we suggest to the trader of the Ring doorbell you are buying it from.
You should remove your payment plan so that you don’t have to pay for the future use of your Ring Doorbell. The steps to withdraw your payment plan are pretty simple.
However, you should know that you can only remove your payment method from the Ring website. The recommended way is through the desktop version. You cannot withdraw your payment plan from your Ring App. I’ve mentioned the steps to withdraw your payment details:
- Open your browser on your computer. If you’re using your mobile phone, then make sure you pick the Desktop Site in the settings.
- Now, navigate to the Ring Website.
- Pick the title to Log in, it is present in the top-right corner. You should Log in using your present Ring account data.
- Once you’ve logged in, you can notice your name in the top-right corner. Select it.
- Select “Account”.
- Here, you can notice the “credit card on file” selection.
- Now, click on the “X” option on the top of the card. It’ll exclude your account from the app.
As it can be seen, that these steps are quite easy. You can easily withdraw your payment information from your Ring account. But make sure that you complete it from your desktop and through the website. As it is a lot easier to do it on your desktop rather than zooming on your smartphone. It is not feasible from the Ring app.
Secondly, you’ve to reach Ring support so that if you’ve any money left in your paid plan, you’ll get it back.
Reach Ring Support for cancelation of your plan and receive a return
The Ring is quite awesome in this case. They provide you with a refund for the period when you aren’t utilizing their plan for cloud video storage. You can contact Ring support to know more details. Here are some ways through which you can contact Ring Support:
- Call the support at 1-800-656-1918. It is a US number.
- Chat support.
- In-Person store. However, it is rare, as it is only available in few locations such as AZ or CA.
- Lastly, contact them through your Ring App. The Ring app provides chat as well as phone support.
Or you can also navigate to the Ring Support page, where you can enter your queries in the search tab, and then either you can click on support or on the little tab to initiate a Chat. From here, you would be able to get your refund for the period you aren’t using the subscription and it’ll be all good!
As we’ve discussed earlier, once the current owner sets up the Ring doorbell, it’ll vanish from your Ring app. I’ve mentioned the steps below to withdraw your Ring Doorbell from your account:
- Open your Ring app
- Tap on the three points on the right of the device’s name or on “Device”.
- Now, tap on the “settings” option available in the top right corner.
- Now, at the bottom, click on the big red button “Remove Device”.
These are the steps to withdraw any Ring gadgets from your app, quite straightforward, isn’t it?
However, if you still find your account registered to your Ring doorbell rather than the new owner, then you should simply uninstall the app. In fact, if you’re still seeing Ring devices on your Ring app, then you can also reach Ring support to inform them of this problem.
Other Things To Consider Before Giving Your Ring Doorbell To The New Owner
So till now, we’ve covered everything related to switching your payment details and removing your Ring Device from the Ring app. Now what?
Well, here I’ve mentioned some other stuff that you should consider before you sell out your Ring doorbell. It might not look necessary but it may provide you more peace.
Remove all the users including shared access
If you have shared access with someone else to your Ring device, then it is a good idea to remove them merely as a precaution.
It follows a simple process to remove someone from the shared users, and you can do this from the Ring app itself.
- Navigate to “Settings”.
- Navigate to “Users”.
- Tap on the option of “Shared User profile”.
- Click on “Remove User”
Consider changing your Password
The thinking behind changing your password to the Ring account is that, if you change your password, any device with the saved password which is connected to the Ring doorbell would surely advise you to insert the new password.
This will restrict different devices from entering your personal account on the Ring app. However, if you’re upgrading your Ring device, then you can neglect this step, as you’ll still need access to your Ring account.
How Can You Reset Your Ring Doorbell For The New Owner?
Resetting your device is not really needed, but you can do it as a precaution. If you reset your Ring device, then it’ll clearly clear out all your previous settings from the device like the Wi-Fi setting.
To do a hard reset for your Ring device, here are the steps:
- Take off the backplate from your Ring device.
- Press the orange button, present on the back of your device for almost 15 to 20 seconds.
- When you notice the Ring glow a light on the front, then you’ll know that the hard reset has been performed successfully.
I hope this read answered all of your queries regarding the change of ownership for the Ring device and helped you!