Ring doorbells are the leaders in the industry of smart doorbells. They come with Wi-Fi connectivity, night-vision, easy installation, live-streaming, and Amazon Alexa Support. They have it all. But to resolve a Wi-Fi problem or move out or recover from the power cut, it becomes important to reset it. So, in this read, we will discuss all the phases of resetting the Ring doorbell, along with how and when you should reset it.
When Should You Hard Reset Your Ring Doorbell?
All the electronic devices come with a hard reset feature, including the Ring Doorbells.
So, you should reset your ring doorbell, if
- Your device can not connect with your Wi-Fi connection.
- You’ve switched your Wi-Fi modem and have to update your connection settings.
- You had a power cut and now your device fails to connect again.
- You’re moving home.
- You’re reselling your Ring Doorbell.
It is always advised to seek professional assistance if you don’t have any idea about how you should perform the work.
How You Can Hard Reset Your Ring Doorbell?
Ring Video Doorbell – 2nd Generation
The 2nd generation Ring Video Doorbell has all the high-level features that you would want from a smart doorbell. You can see who’s at your front door and even interact with them, no matter where your visitors are when they’re using the product. Once you’ve connected your doorbell with your tablet or smartphone, you will get a real-time notification while you’re using their apps.
The 2nd generation Ring Doorbell comes in two colors- white and black. It also has a 30-day trial for the Ring Protect. It comes with various features such as motion detection, Alexa compatibility, in-built rechargeable battery, 1080p HD video, and even night vision.
So, if you want to get several smart doorbells, then don’t worry about connecting them. The Ring app can easily connect with all the doorbells and provide you with their live stream from a single display.
Now, here’s how you can reset it.
- Push and hold the black switch.
- After 15 seconds, release it.
- If the reset method has been started successfully, then the front light will blink.
- The reset will take around a minute to complete.
- Once it is done, you’ve to set the doorbell into the setup mode again.
- To put it in the setup mode, push the black button again.
- The hard reset is successful once the setup mode is completed.
Ring Video Doorbell Pro
The Ring Video Doorbell Pro is one of the Ring’s best seller and signature products. This smart doorbell comes in several color options, including black, Venetian, and pearl.
It comes with multiple features such as infrared night vision, two-way audio, 1080p video, and motion sensors. Once you’ve connected the doorbell with the Ring app on your smartphone, you’ll receive notifications about your visitors, no matter where you are. Plus, this smart doorbell can even detect the smallest movements. So, if you ever pick something suspicious, you can start the real-time video stream in no time.
Here’s how you can reset it.
- Push and hold the right switch.
- After nearly 30 seconds, release the switch.
- This will start the restarting process.
- If the restart process is initiated successfully, then you’ll see some flashes of the front light.
- Now, what till the reset process is finished.
- It usually takes around a minute to complete the restart process.
- Once the reset is completed, you can push and let go of the right button again, to start the setup mode.
Ring Video Doorbell Elite
If you have large property such as large houses, large apartments, or even business premises that have a risk of security break-ins, then the Ring Video Doorbell Elite is the one for you. This smart doorbell is slightly expensive in comparison to other Ring Doorbells.
The Ring Video Doorbell Elite is a professional-grade doorbell. Well, as it comes with high-level features, it is worth the high price.
This doorbell has an in-built microphone and speaker, HD video resolution, and even a two-way phonic feature. You can also set motion zones as per your needs to secure a higher level of protection. It can detect even the slightest motion and you will get a notification immediately on your tablet or smartphone.
This Ring product has a PoE connection, i.e., Power Over Ethernet, unlike the other Ring doorbells. This feature is used for Wi-Fi connectivity, power along HD video sharing.
Here’s how you can reset it.
- Push the black button and hold it.
- Hold it for 15 seconds, then free the button.
- If the reset is started successfully, then you’ll see a light flashing at the front.
- Wait for sometime around a minute for the reset process to finish.
- Once the setup is finished, press the Black switch again.
- This will start the setup mode.
- Once the setup mode is up, your device’s hard reset is completed.
Ring Video Doorbell 1st Generation
The 1st Generation Ring Video Doorbell was the first smart doorbell made by Ring. Even though it’s an older version, it’s still full of essential features. This model supports Amazon Alexa from the start. Plus, if your neighbors use the same version as well and want to share their live stream with you, then you can even see their doorbell’s view from your Ring app.
This model is economical in terms of price. And it even has a wide range of views i.e., 180 degrees for higher security standards. They even run on batteries. But if you want to hard-wire your Ring doorbell into the line powering your current doorbell, then you can do that as well.
Once you’ve set up your doorbell, you will be able to see a 720p live video stream right in your Ring app. Plus, you can even manage the motion areas.
Here’s how to reset it.
- Press the orange key, and hold it.
- Hold the orange key for around 20 seconds.
- If your reset process started successfully, then you will see a light flash at the front. This indicates that the Ring Doorbell is resetting.
- Wait for around a minute until the hard reset procedure is finished.
- Now, you’ve to put your Ring Doorbell again into the setup mode.
- So, for this, press the orange switch.
- This is it. The hard reset is completed.
Ring Doorbell Chime Pro And Chime
The Ring Doorbell Chime Pro and Chime are additions to the Ring doorbell. These two products work well with all Ring cameras and doorbells. Once you’ve plugged these small gadgets into the power outlet, and connected them with the Ring camera and doorbell with the Ring app, they will read out the notifications and urgent alerts to you.
Here’s how you can reset it.
- Plugin your Ring Chime Pro/Ring Chime into the power outlet.
- Place the small pinhole. You’ll get them on the right side of both the doorbell models.
- With the help of a small pin push the key that’s inside the pinhole.
- Push the button for around 15 seconds.
- You’ll see the bottom light flashing once the reset is successful.
- That’s it. Your Ring Doorbell Chime Pro/Chime is completely restored to the default factory mode.
How Can You Reset Your Ring Doorbell WiFi?
Each Ring doorbell comes with Wi-Fi connectivity. The connectivity lets them connect with the Ring app. So, if your Wi-Fi connection is lost, then you won’t be able to see the live stream video from the Ring Doorbell. Plus, you won’t even get any notifications on your smartphone. So, if you’re facing any such issues, then don’t worry. You can simply reset the Wi-Fi connection on the Ring Doorbell.
There are mainly two reasons behind the connection break and your Ring doorbell going offline. The first reason is because of the electronic issue. If your Ring doorbell’s battery is low, or the power wire isn’t working, then most likely your Ring doorbell will go offline.
The second reason behind your Ring doorbell going offline is because of network issues. So, if your connection is slow or you’ve changed the Wi-Fi password, then you might face this.
- With the help of a Torx (T15) screwdriver, take off the cover plate of the Ring Doorbell from the wall mount plate.
- Log into the Ring app on your smartphone.
- Once you’ve logged in, tap on the Ring Doorbell you want to switch the Wi-Fi for.
- Go to the Device Health option.
- Click on the Change Wi-Fi option.
- Now at the back of your ring doorbell, you’ll see a tiny orange button.
- Pair up the Ring app with your Wi-Fi connection on your Ring doorbell.
- You’ll get a list of available Wi-Fi networks.
- Select the Wi-Fi network with which you want to connect your Ring Doorbell.
- Enter the password for the specific Wi-Fi network, click on the connect button on the Ring app. That’s it.
How Can You Disconnect Your Ring Doorbell From Your Ring Account?
When you install the Ring app, firstly you have to make an account. With this account, you can pair up all your Ring doorbells. But, if you ever want to upgrade your Ring doorbell to a newer model, then you don’t have to keep the older model connected with your account. If it ever happens, firstly, remove your old Ring Doorbell and then give it away.
Plus, if you want to sell your old Ring doorbell, then you must dispose of it from your Ring account. If you don’t do it, then the new owner won’t be able to pair up the doorbell with their account.
So, before disconnecting the Ring Doorbell from your Ring account, you should take care of the video clips it has. Just download the important video footage and you’ll be okay with it.
Here’s the removal process.
- Open the Ring app on your smartphone.
- Pick the Ring doorbell you want to remove.
- In the upper-right corner, you’ll see the settings options.
- Here, tap on the Remove Device option to remove the ring doorbell from the Ring account.
- You’ll get a pop-up message to confirm the disconnections. Just tap on the delete key to finish the removal method.
Frequently Asked Question About The Resetting Of Ring Doorbell
How should you move your Ring doorbell when you’re moving out/in?
Most people think that when they’re moving out, they will have to undergo the complete installation of the Ring Doorbell. But, it’s not like that. When you change places, only your Wi-Fi connection changes from the Ring perspective.
So, once you’ve moved out, you’ve set up the device physically, all you have to do is connect your new Wi-Fi network with your Ring doorbell. This way, you won’t have to go through the complete setup process and you’ll move your doorbell without any trouble.
Why is your Ring doorbell isn’t connecting with the Wi-Fi network?
There might be numerous reasons behind your Ring doorbell not connecting with the Wi-Fi. However, the most common reason is having a corrupt router. Apart from the Ring Pro, all other Ring doorbell functions with only 2.4 GHz.
However, if you’re still facing problems even after switching your router, then check whether or not your internet connection is running properly. If the Ring doorbell doesn’t work, then try a Wi-Fi reset on it. It is mentioned above.
I hope all your queries are cleared with this reading. Now you know how to do a hard reset on the Ring doorbell products. You also got to know about how to reset it. Plus, even fixing the can’t connect to the Wifi issue.